Vilkaviškis, situated at the confluence of the Seimena and Vilkauja rivers, is one of the oldest towns in Suduva region. In historical chronicles it has been mentioned since the beginning of the 16th century. In 1660 Vilkaviškis was granted the Magdeburg Rights. In the town there lived a lot of merchants and craftsmen, because a road to Prussia trended through Vilkaviškis. In June 1812, turning up in Vilkaviskis manor, French Emperor Napoleon arranged a military parade and announced a proclamation, designating Russia Vilkaviškis was an important centre of spreading forbidden Lithuanian press.
After the Lithuanian Independence was restored, an independence monument was rejected in 1991, moreover, in 1996 a monument to J. Basanavičius was unveiled, and in 1998 - a memorial bust to V. Kudirka.
Vilkaviškis Diocesan Cathedral
It is the newest cathedral in Lithuania. With the financial support from parish people and the government a Blessed Mary the Virgin Visit's church was built in Vilkaviškis in 1870 - 1881. In 1926 Vilkaviškis became a bishopric centre, whereas a parish church was turned into a cathedral. In 1944, when Germans were retreating, the cathedral was not destroyed, only broken-down. However, from 1950 through 1954, under the initiative of the government, it was taken to single brick pieces; it was leveled with the ground. Only in 1989, at the beginning of the National Revival, the diocesan cathedral was allowed to be restored from the financial support of the believers. For the first time High Mass was celebrated in the unfinished cathedral in July 1997, commemorating the 300th anniversary of Vilkaviskis coat of arms.
Paezeriai Manor House
The foundations of Paezeriai manor house must date back to the establishment times of the oldest manors in Suduva region - the 16th- 17th c. Currently, it has constant expositions of nature, prehistory, regional and emigration history, as well as the ones of more famous public figures. The expositions hawse been arranged by Vilkaviškis regional museum. Exhibitions of regional painters ant folk artists are also mounted there. The Sūduva regional cultural centre was established in the manor house in 2004. Every year festivals of the Suduva people' crafts are organized in Paezeriai manor.
Native land of Jonas Basanavicius
In the native village of Dr. J. Basanavičius - Ožkabaliai - his family's homestead was renovated, a memorial exposition was mounted in the living house. J. Basanavičius - one of the most famous founders of independent Lithuania, also called the National patriarch, a signatory of the Lithuanian Independence Act of 1918.
The Lithuanian National Revival Oakery
In spring of 1989, the Lithuanian book-spreader Society responded to the request to plant a Lithuanian National Revival Oakery in the motherland of Dr. J. Basanavičius. Thus a respect was paid to the ancestry, who, like real oak-trees with roots deep in the native land, withstood cruel occupants and made them return the Lithuanian script. The area of the Oakery is about 40 ha.
It is a former settlement of the 5th- 12th centuries with a castle and an outwork. Piliakalniai mound is one of beautiful mounds in Vilkaviskis region, designed for tourism.
It is believed that Pajevonys was the first religious and administrative centre where the Sūduva dukes used to live. In the centre of the settlement there is wooden sculpture created according to a legend, and a monument it Vytautas the Great, that outlived all the soviet period.
Pajevonys (Kunigiškiai) Mound
Next to Pajevonys village there is Pajevonys (Kunigiskiai) mound. with an ancient settlement, which is listed in the Register of the National Immovable Cultural Properties. There are always many events held near this Pajevonys (Kunigiškiai) mound: from ancient days of crafts to the shows of archers as well as knights of a knight brotherhood 'Viduramžių Pasiuntiniai' ('Medieval Messengers').
When driving from Pajevonys towards Vištytis, approximately in the 7th kilometer, on the left hand side there stands Dabravole mound. In its foot there grows a multi-trunk lime-tree, which spread into 31 trunks.
Native land of Vincas Kudirka
In Paezeriai you will definitely visit an authentic little granary of V. Kudirka - a writer. a public figure, a doctor, and an author of Lithuanian anthem. During the period of World War I Kudirka's homestead was destroyed, only the little granary remained which was his favorite. In 1967, when the interior of the granary was repaired, a memorial museum of Vilkaviskis region was opened.
Vistytis Regional Park
The park was established in 1992 in order to preserve the landscape of Suvalkai hill range, its natural ecosystem and values of culture heritage. What is more, next to the road Kybartai- Vištytis there is the third biggest boulder in Lithuania - Vištytis rock. In the park there ripple 14 lakes, the largest of them is Lake Vištytis- 1,820 ha. Furthermore, there are Drausgiris and Grybingiris forest reserves and 7 sanctuaries. In Vištytis small town there are two rare and unique objects: an oil-mill built in 1925 and a windmill. The past of Vištytis is recorded in Pavištytis mounds.
Kiršai belongs to Alvitas small town. The future poetess Salomėja Neris studied in Alvitas primary school. She was born on November 17, 1904 in Kiršai. Two kilometers away, near the Širvinta river, there stands the old homestead of the Bačinskas family.